PS4 vs PS4 Slim vs PS4 Pro -- Decision for Playstation VR

Author: Zeeshan Arshad     557     03/04/2017

Estimated reading time: 4 minutes, 6 seconds

It is hard to decide which one to buy unless you know the basic and differences among PS4, PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro.

Here is one of the best article that will clear your concepts and help you in decision making about Playstation 4. You should study it for very clear understanding and knowledge.

Article: PS4 Pro vs PS4: How are they different and should you upgrade?

Here is also a good statement from an experienced person with all versions of Playstation 4

"I live together in the same house with some of gaming friends. (And by gaming friends, I mean seriously hardcore, if a game console has ever been on any market, they own it.) but we all decided to grab PS4's for xmas, (we mostly are PC gamers, but we all really wanted Bloodborne.) And it oddly happened that we each got a different version of the PS4. One got the original (from his older brother), one got the new Pro, and I got the Slim. And here's just my consensus from what we've experienced. By and large you're getting the entire package no matter what version of the PS4 you get.

As a disclaimer, only certain games will run better on the PS4 Pro. For example Bloodborne, as one example, is no different on the Pro than on either the Slim or original. Because the Pro won't automatically improve the games graphics. The developers of different games have to release an update to advantage of the PS4 Pro's better hardware, but they also aren't required to. In the case of FROM Software, they've said that they won't because it might give some players an unfair advantage in multiplayer. Which is understandable. The point is not all the games available will be graphically better on the Pro.

And also, any game that isn't playable, (30+ consistent fps) on the original PS4 won't be allowed to be released for the PS4 Pro. In other words, if it can't be played on all versions of the PS4 then it won't be played on any of them.

That's not to say that the PS4 Pro's upgraded hardware can't deliver some staggering graphical improvement to certain games, because it absolutely can. The new Tomb Raider looks much better on the Pro than the original or the slim.

With that being said, I myself actually prefer the Slim because it's so much easier to move it from place to place. It's thinner than some of my college textbooks, and it's really nice to be able to toss it in my backpack if I'm going to my girlfriend's apartment or to visit my brothers or parents and watch a movie on Netflix with them. As a gamer that is constantly bouncing around, the Slim's more compact size makes it the clear winner for me personally. But it's all up to personal preference and need.

All in all, no matter which version you choose you won't be missing out on huge. They're all great, and are way more reliable than the consoles of the last-gen"

Riley Lewand

Design & Connectivity:

PS4 - 305 x 275 x 53 mm (12 x 10.8 x 2.09 in) and 2.8 Kg (6.2lbs)
PS4 - 2x USB 3.0, 1x Gigabit Ethernet, 1x PS Camera, Optical Audio output, HDMI 1.4

PS4 Slim - 288 x 265 x 39 mm (11.3 x 10.4 x 1.54 in) and 2.1 Kg (4.6lbs)
PS4 Slim - 2x USB 3.1, 1x Gigabit Ethernet, 1x PS Camera, HDMI 1.4

PS4 Pro - 327 x 295 x 55 mm (12.9 x 11.6 x 2.17 in) and 3.3 Kg (7.3lbs)
PS4 Pro - 3x USB 3.1, 1x Gigabit Ethernet, 1x PS Camera, Optical Audio output, HDMI 2.0

Performance:

PS4 - CPU: 1.6GHz 8-core AMD Jaguar; 1.84 TFLOP AMD Radeon (18CU, 800MHz); 8GB GDDR5 RAM
PS4 Slim - CPU: 1.6GHz 8-core AMD Jaguar; 1.84 TFLOP AMD Radeon (18CU, 800MHz); 8GB GDDR5 RAM
PS4 Pro - CPU: 2.1GHz 8-core AMD Jaguar; GPU: 4.2 TFLOP AMD Radeon (36CU, 911MHz); 8GB GDDR5 + 1GB RAM

Sony says the PS4 Pro delivers a 30% CPU and 100% GPU boost over the PS4 and PS4 Slim and its extra 1GB of RAM is specifically for non-gaming functionality so the full 8GB can be reserved for your gaming at all times.

Playstation VR with Which Version?

Not conclusively. Games won’t be any smoother in VR on the PS4 Pro compared to the PS4. So, you can buy any PS4 and enjoy playstation VR.

PS4 Pro Compatibility Issue with Playstation VR:

It’s worth noting the PlayStation VR has an compatibility issue with the PS4 Pro, too. The PlayStation VR uses a version of HDMI incompatible with 4K and HDR, so PS4 Pro users have to unplug the VR system to play games on their TV as intended. It’s an odd oversight from Sony that makes using the two together kind of annoying.

PS4 Pro with 4K TV:

If you have a 4K TV go with the Pro. If you don't have a 4K TV and aren't getting one soon go with the Slim.

Was this topic helpful?

Yes
No
Subscribe YouTube Channel

Zeeshan owns HTC Vive and Gear VR. If you are a VR developer, contact Zeeshan with steam key.

He has been a gamer since childhood with experiences in spiritualism, lucid dreaming and out of the body.

Story  LinkedIn Profile  Courses  YouTube